Join the big march through London to oppose the state visit of Joseph Ratzinger to the UK!
The diverse groups who support this campaign have many different reasons for not approving of the State Visit to the UK by the Pope in September 2010. They all however share the following view:
- That the Pope, as a citizen of Europe and the leader of a religion with many adherents in the UK, is of course free to enter and tour our country.
- However, as well as a religious leader, the Pope is a head of state and the state and organisation of which he is head has been responsible for:
- opposing the distribution of condoms and so increasing large families in poor countries and the spread of AIDS
- promoting segregated education
- denying abortion to even the most vulnerable women
- opposing equal rights for lesbians, gay, bisexual and transgender people
- failing to address the many cases of abuse of children within its own organisation.
- rehabilitating the holocaust denier bishop Richard Williamson and the appeaser of Hitler, the war-time Pope, Pius XII.
- The state of which the Pope is the head has also resisted signing many major human rights treaties and has formed its own treaties (‘concordats’) with many states which negatively affect the human rights of citizens of those states.
- As a head of state, the Pope is an unsuitable guest of the UK government and should not be accorded the honour and recognition of a state visit to our country.
If you believe, as we do, that the Pope should not come to the UK without hearing from the millions of people who reject his harsh, intolerant views and the practices and policies of the Vatican State please get involved.
The purpose of this web-site is to provide a focal point and a resource for the many thousands of people who think that, as a head of state, the Pope is an unsuitable guest of the UK and should not be accorded the honour and recognition of a state visit to our country.
Use this site to get involved. It might be:
- You want to take part in an event or activity taking place near you – look at the Events Diary
- You want to publicise an event or activity you are organising on this site – contact us
- You want to be kept updated about the progress of the campaign and latest developments – sign up for News Updates, our periodic email bulletin and check our Blog
- You want some ideas for events or activities – see what others did on previous papal visits – Help get the message out there
- You want to get your point of view across to others – check out the FAQs , the Rap Sheet and our links
- You want to go online and find out what other people think – check our media page for Facebook, Twitter and news stories.